Competition Rules 2021/22
There are 5 competitions spread throughout the season – all judged externally by a SPF approved judge. The marks awarded for first 4 competitions form a league in which the highest cumulative score wins one of our awards at the end of the season. In addition, there is an Annual Competition (see below).
For this season, each league competition will be confined to Projected Digital Images only. However, there will be 2 separate categories: Colour and monochrome images.
In addition, although the competitions are judged as a single division, the leagues will be divided into a Novice and Advanced sections.
Entries are limited to a maximum of 2 per category (4 in total). There is no requirement to enter the maximum number in any or all of the categories.
Only the best mark achieved in each category will count towards your score for the league.
Subjects for the league competitions are either open (any subject matter) or themed. Please check the syllabus for more details.
All competition entries must be the sole and original work of the member, including all processing or manipulation (digital or otherwise). The use of any image (or part, including layers, textures and clipart)) from an external source is not permitted. However, the use of special effects typically found within processing software such as Photoshop is permitted.
Digital Images must be submitted in jpg format only (sRGB) and should be resized to a maximum of 1600px horizontal by 1200px vertical for landscape, or for portrait format the horizontal size should be 1200px. Square format images should be 1200 x 1200px.
Neither the image or filename must show your name. The filename should only contain the member ID number and title of the image, eg 100_Title.jpg.
Entries should be emailed to the competition secretary on or before the competition hand-in date.
Images may only be submitted once for league competitions and may not be entered again in another category, i.e. a colour image should not be re-entered as a monochrome in a subsequent competition or vice versa. The only exception is the Annual Competition.
Given the circumstances leading to restrictions in the league competitions, members will be free to use any DPI image submitted this season as a print in any competition in the subsequent season.
The Annual Competition is an Open competition for all members with no distinction between novices and more experienced photographers. Members may choose to resubmit their best images previously used in league competitions but new images are also encouraged. The categories to be used in this competition will bemonochrome and colour prints, Projected Digital Images, with a maximum of 2 entries per category for each member. There are awards for the best image in each of the 3 categories. In addition, there is an award for the best portrait. All images must comply with the rules applicable to the league competitions.
Prints may be of any size, suitably mounted on boards (no metal, fasteners or Velcro tabs) not exceeding 500 x 400mm (20” x 16”). The title and membership number only must be clearly printed on the reverse side of the mount.
The format of the Annual Competition is based on the assumption that there will be no pandemic-related restrictions in place at the time of the competition. In the event that new restrictions are imposed, the competition will be run on the basis of DPIs only.
Picture of the Month Competition
- open to any member of the Cupar Camera Club
- one picture per month
- pictures may be colour or monochrome
- the picture may only be used once in this competition
- the submitted picture must not have been previously used in any club competition
- any picture may be used again in any other subsequent club competition
- Send picture to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pictures can be sent at any time, but only the first one received during an entry period will be used
- Format: JPG
- Size: long side must not exceed 1600 pix, short side must not exceed 1200 pix
- EXIF information should be available – this metadata must include the date the picture was taken
- Pictures must not be older than 12 months
- 21st of a month to 20th of the next month (for the competition of the later month);
- Example: 21 Jan to 20 Feb for Pictureofthemonth Feb.
- 21st of a month till end of that month
- Result will be announced during the first week of a month and
- The winning picture will be placed on the start page of the website
- Every member of the club has three votes
- Voting for the own picture is allowed
- No multiple votes for any picture
Mobile Phone Fun Competition
- Each member is restricted to 1 image.
- The image should be taken on a phone with no processing, apart from cropping and resizing to usual 1600 x 1200, etc. with your competition number and title.
- The image should be sent to Stuart.
External Inter-Club Competitions
3-Way Digital Competition
This is an annual competition held between
- St Andrews Photographic Society,
- Kinross Camera Club and
- Cupar Camera Club
- Each club enters a maximum of 15 projected digital images.
- No individual club member may submit more than 2 images.
- The digital image must not display the title, identify the photographer or club name.
- Digital files should comply with current SPF guidelines
Fife Inter-Club Championship
This is an annual inter-club competition held between
- Dunfermline Photographic Association
- Cupar Camera Club
- Kirkcaldy Photographic Society
- St Andrews Photographic Society and
- Glenrothes Camera Club
- An additional club will participate this season.
- Each club enters a maximum of 8 monochrome prints, 8 colour prints and 8 digital images
- No individual club member may enter more than 2 images per category
- Images must not be more than 2 years old and not previously submitted in this competition
- While there is no restriction on subject matter, the aim of the competition is to present the best in pictorial photography by club members
- Prints may be of any size, suitably mounted on boards (no metal, fasteners or Velcro tabs) not exceeding 500 x 400mm (20” x 16”). The title only must be clearly printed on the reverse
- Projected digital images must comply with SPF guidelines
- Judging will be carried out by a panel of judges who must be SPF approved and appointed by the organising club
There are several awards associated with this competition.
The format of this competition has not yet been agreed for the 2021/22 season.