There are 4 competitions spread throughout the season – all judged externally by a SPF approved judge. The marks awarded for first 3 competitions form a league in which the highest cumulative score wins one of our awards at the end of the season. In addition, there is an Annual Competition (see below).
For this season, each competition will be confined to Projected Digital Images only. However, there will be 2 separate categories: Colour and monochrome images.
In addition, the competitions are based on a single Open division and not divided into a Novice and Advanced sections as in previous years.
Entries are limited to a maximum of 2 per category (4 in total). There is no requirement to enter the maximum number in any or all of the categories.
Only the best image in each category will count towards your score for the league.
Subjects for the league competitions are either open (any subject matter) or themed. Please check the syllabus for more details.
All competition entries must be the sole and original work of the member, including all processing or manipulation (digital or otherwise). The use of any image (or part, including layers, textures and clipart)) from an external source is not permitted. However, the use of special effects typically found within processing software such as Photoshop is permitted.
Digital Images must be submitted in jpg format only (sRGB) and should be resized to a maximum of 1600px horizontal by 1200px vertical for landscape, or for portrait format the horizontal size should be 1200px. Square format images should be 1200 x 1200px.
Neither the image or filename must show your name. The filename should only contain the member ID number and title of the image, eg 100_Title.jpg.
Entries should be emailed to the competition secretary on or before the competition hand-in date.
Images may only be submitted once for league competitions and may not be entered again in another category, i.e. a colour image should not be re-entered as a monochrome in a subsequent competition or vice versa. The only exception is the Annual Competition.
The Annual Competition is an Open competition for all members with no distinction between beginners and more experienced photographers. Members may choose to resubmit their best images previously used in league competitions but new images are also encouraged. The same 2 categories of monochrome and colour Projected Digital Images will be used, with a maximum of 3 entries per category for each member. There are awards for the best image in each of the 2 categories. All images must comply with the rules applicable to the league competitions.
Given the circumstances leading to restrictions in the above competitions, members will be free to use any DPI image submitted this season as a print in any competition in the subsequent season.
External Inter-Club Competitions
3-Way Digital Competition
This is an annual competition held between
- St Andrews Photographic Society,
- Kinross Camera Club and
- Cupar Camera Club.
The requirements are:
- Each club enters a Maximum of 15 Projected Digital Images
- No individual club member may submit more than 3 images
- The digital image must not display the title, identify the photographer or club name
- Digital files should comply with current SPF guidelines
Fife Inter- Club ChampionshipThis is an annual 5-way competition held between Dunfermline Photographic Association, Cupar Camera Club, Kirkcaldy Photographic Society, St Andrews Photographic Society and Glenrothes Camera Club.
Fife Inter-Club Championship
This is an annual 5-way competition held between
- Dunfermline Photographic Association,
- Cupar Camera Club,
- Kirkcaldy Photographic Society,
- St Andrews Photographic Society and
- Glenrothes Camera Club.
The requirements are:
- Each club enters a maximum of 8 monochrome prints, 8 colour prints and 8 digital images
- No individual club member may enter more than 2 images per category
- Images must not be more than 2 years old and not previously submitted in thiscompetition
- While there is no restriction on subject matter, the aim of the competition is to presentthe best in pictorial photography by club members
- Prints may be of any size, suitably mounted on boards (no metal, fasteners or Velcrotabs) not exceeding 500 x 400mm (20” x 16”). The title only must be clearly printedon the reverse
- Projected digital images must comply with SPF guidelines
- Judging will be carried out by a panel of judges who must be SPF approved andappointed by the organising club
There are several awards associated with this competition.The format of this competition has not yet been agreed for the 2020/21 season but is likely to be confined to DPIs only